Thursday, June 10, 2010

Cheesecake

There is nothing like chilled homemade cheesecake with fresh strawberries when the weather gets warmer (fingers crossed). Ian's mom asked me to make something for her Shabbat group, so I made two cheesecakes for fear one would go terribly, terribly wrong. She said it went over well, and that was something I was very happy about. Cheesecake is surprisingly simple. I have to say, they both came out pretty well. I have never heard much about cheesecake except that it should never crack on top, so I think baking it in a water bath helps with that problem. Neither of them had cracks. Also, I used a dark coated springform pan and an aluminum springform pan, and shocker, Ian's mom's aluminum pan is the reigning champion.

The crust is simple:
1 package (three in a box) graham cracker crust
1/2 stick of room temperature butter
sugar, baking soda and some recipes call for flour

Cheesecake (pulled from Rose's Heavenly Cakes):
2 boxes Philadelphia Cream Cheese (I think works the best)
Sugar
3 eggs
3 cups sour cream
Lemon juice, vanilla

There are many ways to make cheesecake, but first I wanted to start with basics.

No comments:

Post a Comment