Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Birthday Cake

Last week was my Mother's birthday, so I made her a cake. After three failed attempts at a Genoise cake from The Modern Baker, I decided to stick with what I know. I really couldn't tell you what happened. It was like a frisbee you could fling across the room (I think at one point I did). I followed the directions to a T with zero results. I will not give up on this book though. It can't get the best of me.

This is a classic yellow cake with chocolate buttercream frosting. The buttercream turned out well, but it had a pound of butter in it with chocolate so it is hard to taste bad. The cake on the other hand was in need of some major moisture. I am looking into some cake strips that Rose Levy Beranbaum (all hail the cake goddess) talks about in her books, but for now I need to work on bake time, and more experience.

I have yet to find a yellow cake recipe that I truly, truly love, but when I do I will be sure to write about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment